Preserving our History
We are committed to collecting, preserving and displaying historical materials related to the School and Alumnae and have an extensive historical collection of nursing archives and museum items.
The collection is located in the alumnae rooms, Heather Pavilion, VGH.
The main room contains the archive collection of documents, photographs, books, student annuals as well as School of Nursing course outlines and other valuable items The museum consists of priceless pieces, such as an iron lung, and all have been catalogued and photographed.
We are especially proud of our textile room with its collection of student uniforms. As well there are graduate pins and medals, miniature dolls and silver items, many donated by graduating classes.
Our complete online archives will be available soon. The Archives includes:
- Historical Photos
- Books – coming soon
- Documents – coming soon
- Student Annuals – Annuals are available in the Archives, as viewing copies, for the years: 1922-1991
Statement of Purpose
One of the purposes of the Vancouver General Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association, through its Archives/Artifacts Committee, is to collect, preserve and display artifacts and archival material relating to the history of nursing in Vancouver for the period 1899-1998, with particular reference to the Vancouver General Hospital School of Nursing.
The Archives/Artifacts Committee will accept donated material that it can care for adequately.
Material should be in reasonably good condition, have clear title, and be free of any restrictive conditions as to use or future disposition.
The Committee will accept material in the form of gift, bequest or loan. If gifts duplicate items in the collection the Committee reserves the right to dispose of extra items in an appropriate manner.
Holdings will be made available to the public by means of exhibitions, loans, educational programming and provision for research.
Reference and Access Policy
The Archival and Museum Collection is available to researchers and the general public under certain conditions:
- Visitors must make an appointment with the Archivist to visit the Archives.
- The Archivist will assist in providing access to the material, or to information on the website.
- All materials must be handled carefully and kept in existing order. No archival material may be removed from the public space.
- With permission from the Archivist, material may be duplicated, subject to any reproduction restrictions or copyright law.
- If the researcher plans to publish material, copyright clearance must be obtained, and credit is given to; “Vancouver General Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae Association Archives Collection”